The Geothermal-Alliance Bavaria (GAB) addresses questions of research and practice in the field of deep geothermal energy.
The overall objective of the GAB is to strengthen geothermal energy as a renewable energy resource for the domestic energy market so that it can make a significant contribution to the CO2-reduction targets.
The Technische Universität München (TUM), the GeoZentrum Nordbayern of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg (FAU) and the University of Bayreuth are participating in the research group. The Bayerische Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst funds the collaborative research project for a project duration of four years.
The GAB combines diverse and interdisciplinary research strategies:
Approaches for optimising operations as well as the expansion of the economical and technical potential are pursued in the same way as the reduction of the exploration risk of geothermal drilling by improved reservoir analysis.
- Surficial optimising operations
- Increasing of plant availability
- Studies on operational strategies and maintenance
- Improvement of dynamics and flexibility
- Expansion of the economic potential by
- Minimization of the exploration risk of geothermal drilling due to an improved reservoir understanding
- Implementation of efficiency measures for power plants
- Examination of flexible cogeneration of heat and power concepts
- Expansion of technical potential through research in the field of petrothermal geothermal energy
The following research topics are dealt with during the project period:
In addition to the research approaches, it is also of great importance to build up a network between the operators and the scientific community. Valuable operating experience can thus be exchanged and used.
For this purpose, the GAB's project management has reissued the "Wissenstransfer Süddeutsches Molassebecken" event series, creating an exchange platform. Further information on this and other events and activities of the GAB can be found in the menu under Outreach: Media & Events.
If you would like to be informed regularly about events of the GAB, please contact us!
Course of studies
Also included is a master's degree course with a comprehensive range of studies on geoscientific, energy engineering, business and energy-related issues of geothermal projects:
The joint master's degree course "GeoThermie / GeoEnergy" of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg (FAU) and the Technical University Munich (TUM) started for the first time in the winter term 2017/18.
The beginning of studies in the master "GeoThermie/GeoEnergie" is possible in winter semesters.
More information about registration can be found here.
The aim is to train highly qualified specialists in the field of geothermal energy for the growth market of renewable energies. The study course provides relevant teaching contents from the exploration and development of the resource to the energetic use and storage of heat energy.
At the FAU, the GeoZentrum Nordbayern is organizing the lectures, to which the Ludwig-Maximilians-University contributes its expertise in the field of applied geophysics. At the TUM, the Engineering Faculty of Bau Geo Umwelt looks after the new course of study. External lecturers from industry also provide a strong practical reference. During the current semester, most of the events are held in Erlangen; in Munich, block classes are held.
Detailed information about the masters program as well as application and admission material:
- Website for the joint degree program "GeoThermie/GeoEnergie" (Technical University Munich)
- Website for the joint degree program "GeoThermie/GeoEnergie" (Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- Module manual for download
- Degree program flyer for download
- Geothermal research group at the GeoZentrum Nordbayern of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg
The Seedfunding program is to launch a competition for ideas, which can be used to respond to short-term research needs. Geothermal energy research projects from the GAB can also be developed.
The application modalities of the GAB's seedfunding program as well as information on the currently supported projects of the 2017 duration can be found under the menu point Seedfunding.